Wanaka Wastebusters was set up by our community to do the recycling in Wanaka back in 2000. We are passionate about real recycling – producing clean, uncontaminated recycling which can be made back into high quality products. We take household recycling at our drop off at the recycling centre on the corner of Ballantyne and Riverbank Rd.
The charge is only $1 for 100 litres of recycling (a bit more than a black crate full), so you can do a month’s recycling for the cost of a cup of coffee.
All the materials which are collected for kerbside recycling can be recycled with us:
- Plastics (1-7, not PLA as marked by the flower logo or PLA stamp on the bottom)
We love recycling so much, that we also take:
- Shrinkwrap (number 4 stretchy plastic)
- Used engine oil
- Vegetable oil
- Cellphones (for the Starship hospital fundraiser)
- Electronic waste (computers, TVs, printers etc) – an additional fee is charged to cover costs
- Household appliances ($10 per item, no fridges or freezers please)
- Scrap metal (eg fin heaters, old engines)
- Ink cartridges
- Reusable glass bottles (eg Swap-a-crate bottles, Green Man)
Click here to find out more about how these materials are recycled.
Unfortunately Wanaka Wastebuters no longer does the kerbside recycling collections in Wanaka. If you have any questions about kerbside recycling, please call the council on 443 0024.